Document Detail


Donor leg morbidity and function after fibula free flap mandible reconstruction.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  7604094     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The purpose of this study was to determine the donor leg morbidity and function after removal of the fibula free flap for mandible reconstruction. In the past 24 months, 29 consecutive patients underwent a total of 30 fibula free flap mandible reconstructions. A muscle-sparing technique was used to harvest the fibula flap, and the proximal 6 cm and distal 8 cm of fibula were left intact. Patients included 20 men and 9 women; their mean age was 58.8 years (range 29 to 82 years); the mean length of fibula removed was 14.5 cm (range 8 to 25 cm); osteocutaneous flaps were used in 27 patients (90 percent); and 16 patients (53 percent) required skin grafts to the donor leg. Donor leg morbidity and function were determined by patient questionnaire, physical examination, and isokinetic testing, with the opposite, unoperated leg serving as a control. Immediate postoperative morbidity occurred in 5 patients (17 percent) (infection, wound separation, or partial graft loss); none required additional surgery for donor complications. Patient questionnaires were completed by all patients at an average of 7.3 months after surgery. Patients were able to ambulate pain-free an average of 5.1 weeks (range 2 to 32 weeks) postoperatively and were all fully able to engage in all daily and recreational activities. Most (21 patients, 72 percent) were free of any donor pain, and the remainder (28 percent) had only occasional mild discomfort. Other complaints included ankle stiffness (41 percent), mild ankle instability (10 percent), and transient peroneal motor (7 percent) or sensory (28 percent) loss, which resolved in all patients.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
Authors:
J P Anthony; J D Rawnsley; P Benhaim; E F Ritter; S H Sadowsky; M I Singer
Related Documents :
15038014 - Concept of arteriovenous loupes in high-risk free-tissue transfer: history and clinical...
20952474 - Treatment with tiludronic acid helps reduce the development of experimental osteoarthri...
2800874 - Lower limb oedema after arterial reconstructive surgery. influence of preoperative isch...
16084294 - Posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: double-loop hamstring tendon autograft vers...
18023144 - Changes in lip 1 year after modified millard repair.
19961814 - Clinical inquiries. do intercontraction intervals predict when a woman at term should s...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Plastic and reconstructive surgery     Volume:  96     ISSN:  0032-1052     ISO Abbreviation:  Plast. Reconstr. Surg.     Publication Date:  1995 Jul 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1995-08-09     Completed Date:  1995-08-09     Revised Date:  2014-10-13    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  1306050     Medline TA:  Plast Reconstr Surg     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  146-52     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Ankle / physiopathology
Female
Fibula
Humans
Knee Joint / physiopathology
Leg / surgery*
Male
Mandible / surgery*
Middle Aged
Postoperative Complications*
Range of Motion, Articular
Skin Transplantation
Surgical Flaps*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Colorimetric evaluation of skin color in the Japanese.
Next Document:  Safety of clinical overinflation of tissue expanders.