Document Detail


Direct and indirect association between environmental factors and fruit intake, mediation by psychosocial factors: the Pro Children study.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20883574     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVES: To explore direct associations between home and school availability of fruit and fruit intake, and the mediating role of attitude towards fruit, liking, perceived barriers and self-efficacy.
DESIGN: Cross-sectional study.
SETTING: Primary schools in nine European countries.
SUBJECTS: Within the Pro Children study, data were collected on perceived home and school availability of fruit, psychosocial factors related to fruit intake and its frequency among 13 305 11-year-old schoolchildren.
RESULTS: Significant overall associations were found between child-reported home availability of fruit and fruit intake in all countries and in the total sample. School availability of fruit was associated with fruit intake in the pooled sample and in country-specific analyses in Sweden and the Netherlands. Liking (13·2-49·4 %) and self-efficacy (14·0-25·1 %) were the strongest mediators in the home availability-fruit intake relationship, but there was also a direct association between home availability and fruit intake, except in Spain and the Netherlands. Mediating pathways of the school availability-fruit intake relationship could only be assessed for Norway, Sweden and the total sample. Attitude was a significant mediator in Norway (80·4 %) and in Sweden (25·3 %), while in the total sample also liking (38·7 %) and self-efficacy (23·0 %) were identified as significant mediators.
CONCLUSIONS: The association between home availability of fruit and fruit intake is at least partly mediated by personal factors such as liking and self-efficacy indicates that fruit intake is not a complete automatic or unconscious behaviour.
Authors:
Marianne Wind; Saskia J te Velde; Johannes Brug; Camilla Sandvik; Knut-Inge Klepp
Related Documents :
19168004 - Redox ingredients for oxidative stress prevention: the unexplored potentiality of coffee.
17288624 - The influence of fruit and vegetable intake on the nutritional status and plasma homocy...
11052724 - Antioxidative activity and carotenoid and tomatine contents in different typologies of ...
2015934 - The assessment of radiocaesium intake from food using duplicate diet and whole-body mon...
19168004 - Redox ingredients for oxidative stress prevention: the unexplored potentiality of coffee.
6744664 - Total and specific igg4 antibody levels in atopic eczema.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Public health nutrition     Volume:  13     ISSN:  1475-2727     ISO Abbreviation:  Public Health Nutr     Publication Date:  2010 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-10-04     Completed Date:  2011-01-21     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9808463     Medline TA:  Public Health Nutr     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1736-45     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Nutrition, Institute for Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo, Norway.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Attitude*
Child
Cross-Sectional Studies
Diet / psychology*
Environment*
Europe
Female
Food Habits / psychology
Food Preferences / psychology*
Food Services
Fruit*
Humans
Male
Schools
Self Efficacy*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  The relationship between children's home food environment and dietary patterns in childhood and adol...
Next Document:  Do individual cognitions mediate the association of socio-cultural and physical environmental factor...