Document Detail


Daily and intermittent Rosuvastatin 5mg therapy in statin intolerant patients: an observational study.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22256801     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Abstract Objective: To examine the efficacy and tolerability of rosuvastatin 5 mg at daily and non-daily dosing regimens. Research Design & Methods: A retrospective survey was conducted at 9 primary, secondary and tertiary healthcare centres in the United Kingdom. Main Outcome Measures: Changes in lipid fractions from baseline values after more than 3 months treatment. Results: 325 patients were identified. These patients were aged 63±10 years, 50% male and prescription was mostly for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD) (59%). Co-morbidities included: established CVD present in 42%, type 2 diabetes mellitus (15%), hypertension (74%) and smoking (9%). Adverse effects had been documented to simvastatin (75%) or atorvastatin (63%). 289 patients (89%) tolerated rosuvastatin well and were still adherent after a median follow-up of 14.9 (3-79) months. The remainder (n=36; 11%) discontinued the medication after median 5 months' treatment due to adverse effects. Efficacy was assessed in 215 patients who had adequate data. Baseline lipids were total cholesterol (TC) 7.41±1.50mmol/L, triglycerides (TG) 2.26 (range 0.36-18.4) mmol/L; high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) 1.43±0.47mmol/L and low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) 4.76±1.38mmol/L. Daily rosuvastatin (n=134) reduced mean TC by 31%, TG 15% and LDL-C 43% (p<0.001). Rosuvastatin 5 mg 2-3 times weekly (n=79) reduced TC 26%, TG 16% and LDL-C 32% (p<0.001). Weekly rosuvastatin (n=11) reduced TC 17%, LDL-C by 23% (p<0.001) but had no effect on TGs. Targets were attained in 17% of CHD-risk equivalent patients and 41% of primary prevention patients by National Cholesterol Education Program criteria and 27% and 68% using UK targets. No myositis or rhabdomyolysis was observed and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and creatine kinase (CK) were similar to baseline. Conclusions: In this retrospective observational multicentre study, rosuvastatin 5mg was found to be safe and biochemically effective either as daily or intermittent therapy in patients intolerant to other conventional statin regimens.
Authors:
Claire Meek; Anthony S Wierzbicki; Christina Jewkes; Patrick J Twomey; Martin A Crook; Alan Jones; Adie Viljoen
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-1-18
Journal Detail:
Title:  Current medical research and opinion     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1473-4877     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2012 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-1-19     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0351014     Medline TA:  Curr Med Res Opin     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Development of a Family Functioning Scale for Major Depressive Disorder.
Next Document:  RAS mutations in cutaneous squamous-cell carcinomas in patients treated with BRAF inhibitors.