Document Detail


Contribution of magnetic resonance cholangiography to the anatomic study of bile ducts.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  15532786     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND/AIMS: Until recently, in-depth anatomic study of the biliopancreatic ducts was only possible with injection-corrosion techniques or peroperative radiology. These were tedious and tributary of the quality of anatomic specimens. Since 1990, a new minimally invasive technique has been available: nuclear magnetic resonance cholangiography (NMRCP). The aim of the study was to evaluate the feasibility and the results of NMRCP applied to the study of the biliopancreatic tract. METHODOLOGY: NMRCP was performed in 50 healthy volunteers and results were interpreted by two readers in consensus. RESULTS: NMRCP showed the common bile, left hepatic and paramedian ducts in 100% of cases. The right hepatic duct was seen in 78% of cases. The lateral duct was seen in 98% of cases. Segmental ducts were found in 68 to 78% of cases for segments II, III, VI, VII and VIII. Only 18% of ducts for segment I were found. The gallbladder was seen in only 72% of cases. The cystic duct was clearly seen in 64% of cases. The hepato-pancreatic duct was seen in 82% of cases. In 70% of cases, distribution of the hepatic ducts was modal. The remaining 30% displayed variations. CONCLUSIONS: The anatomic and radiological results reported in our study of 50 cases demonstrate the excellent feasibility and reliability of magnetic resonance cholangiography applied to the anatomic study of the bile ducts. We suggest that a wide scale multicenter study in living healthy individuals may be worth considering.
Authors:
Christophe Aube; Jean-Jacques Tuech; Bruno Delorme; Jean-Pierre Arnaud; Henri-Dominique Fournier; Xavier Papon; Philippe Mercier
Related Documents :
9413366 - The bridging bronchus. successful diagnosis and repair.
16769326 - Anorectal malformation with tubular hindgut duplication.
3952916 - Incidental ganglioneuroblastoma.
7978136 - Tracheal agenesis.
2295166 - Symptomatic scapholunatotriquetral carpal coalition with fusion of the capitatometacarp...
16340766 - Seizures in a 20-month-old native of minnesota: a case of neurocysticercosis.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Hepato-gastroenterology     Volume:  51     ISSN:  0172-6390     ISO Abbreviation:  Hepatogastroenterology     Publication Date:    2004 Nov-Dec
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2004-11-09     Completed Date:  2005-02-01     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8007849     Medline TA:  Hepatogastroenterology     Country:  Greece    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1600-4     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Radiology, University Hospital, Angers, France.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Bile Ducts / anatomy & histology
Bile Ducts, Extrahepatic / anatomy & histology*,  radiography*
Bile Ducts, Intrahepatic / anatomy & histology*,  radiography*
Cholangiography / methods*
Cohort Studies
Female
Humans
Magnetic Resonance Imaging / methods*
Male
Middle Aged
Reference Values
Sensitivity and Specificity

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  A comparison of serum interleukin-6 concentrations in patients treated by cholecystectomy via laparo...
Next Document:  Primary closure versus T-tube drainage after laparoscopic choledochotomy for common bile duct stones...