Document Detail


Conservative management of ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21434818     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Object Ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament (OPLL) can result in significant myelopathy. Surgical treatment for OPLL has been extensively documented in the literature, but less data exist on conservative management of this condition. Methods The authors conducted a systematic review to identify all reported cases of OPLL that were conservatively managed without surgery. Results The review yielded 11 published studies reporting on a total of 480 patients (range per study 1-359 patients) over a mean follow-up period of 14.6 years (range 0.4-26 years). Of these 480 patients, 348 (72.5%) were without myelopathy on initial presentation, whereas 76 patients (15.8%) had signs of myelopathy; in 56 cases (15.8%), the presence of myelopathy was not specified. The mean aggregate Japanese Orthopaedic Association score on presentation for 111 patients was 15.3. Data available for 330 patients who initially presented without myelopathy showed progression to myelopathy in 55 (16.7%), whereas the other 275 (83.3%) remained progression free. In the 76 patients presenting with myelopathy, 37 (48.7%) showed clinical progression, whereas 39 (51.5%) remained clinically unchanged or improved. Conclusions Patients who present without myelopathy have a high chance of remaining progression free. Those who already have signs of myelopathy at presentation may benefit from surgery due to a higher rate of progression over continued follow-up.
Authors:
Martin H Pham; Frank J Attenello; Joshua Lucas; Shuhan He; Christopher J Stapleton; Patrick C Hsieh
Related Documents :
21461718 - Allergen-specific immunotherapy in atopic eczema.
21256638 - Refeeding hypophosphataemia is more common in enteral than parenteral feeding in adult ...
21149288 - Information gain in patients using a multimedia website with tailored information on an...
9934898 - Compositional, structural, and functional alterations in pulmonary surfactant in surgic...
10557128 - A functional strategy for classifying patients after traumatic spinal cord injury.
9234038 - Ability to counselors to detect cognitive impairment among substance-abusing patients: ...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Neurosurgical focus     Volume:  30     ISSN:  1092-0684     ISO Abbreviation:  Neurosurg Focus     Publication Date:  2011 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-03-25     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  100896471     Medline TA:  Neurosurg Focus     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  E2     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Neurosurgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California; and.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament: a review.
Next Document:  Surgical management of cervical ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament: natural history...