Document Detail


Computer analysis of antepartum fetal heart rate: 1. Baseline determination.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  2194979     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
A consequent and reproducible determination of baseline is an essential prerequisite for objective interpretation of fetal heart rate. A fully automated off-line method of baseline determination has been developed and tested on 50 normal antepartum fetal heart rate recordings of two hours duration. The method is constructed around two functional units, a digital filter and a trim function, which interact in an iterative process. The results were evaluated in comparison with automated baseline determination according to Dawes and coworkers. A panel of 3 experts agreed that in 14 of the 50 recordings (28%), the new developed procedure resulted in a substantially better baseline fit. In the remaining 34 recordings (72%), baseline fit from both methods was judged as equivalent. The described procedure of baseline determination provides a solid base for automated detection of accelerations and decelerations in fetal heart rate recordings. It enables the study of the relation between the fetal heart rate pattern and fetal movements. Finally, it provides an objective tool for analysis of variables within the fetal heart rate with the highest predictive value with respect to fetal outcome.
Authors:
R Mantel; H P van Geijn; F J Caron; J M Swartjes; E E van Woerden; H W Jongsma
Related Documents :
10589059 - Prenatal diagnosis of a fetal left atrial diverticulum.
8883749 - The effect of epidural bupivacaine on the fetal electrocardiogram.
7400919 - Cardiovascular, metabolic and fetal brain function observation following total cord occ...
12666229 - Fetal supraventricular tachycardia diagnosed and treated at 13 weeks of gestation: a ca...
1168829 - Management of coarctation of the aorta during pregnancy.
3945449 - Sinusoidal fetal heart rate pattern associated with butorphanol administration.
7285579 - A two-year follow-up study of women sterilized in india.
24800249 - Meconium indicators of maternal alcohol abuse during pregnancy and association with pat...
2040229 - Khat-chewing during pregnancy-effect upon the off-spring and some characteristics of th...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  International journal of bio-medical computing     Volume:  25     ISSN:  0020-7101     ISO Abbreviation:  Int. J. Biomed. Comput.     Publication Date:  1990 May 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1990-08-16     Completed Date:  1990-08-16     Revised Date:  2006-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0252005     Medline TA:  Int J Biomed Comput     Country:  ENGLAND    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  261-72     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Electrocardiography
Female
Fetal Monitoring / methods*
Heart Rate, Fetal / physiology*
Humans
Pregnancy
Reproducibility of Results
Signal Processing, Computer-Assisted*
Ultrasonography

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Spectral analysis of fetal heart rhythm in relation to fetal regular mouthing.
Next Document:  Computer analysis of antepartum fetal heart rate: 2. Detection of accelerations and decelerations.