Document Detail


Complications of Anterior Clinoidectomy Through Lateral Supraorbital Approach: Experience with 82 Consecutive Patients.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22120307     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: We reviewed the surgical complications from our recent experience in vascular and tumor patients who underwent anterior clinoidectomy through the lateral supraorbital (LSO) approach. METHODS: Between June 2007 and January 2011, a total of 82 patients with neoplastic and vascular lesions underwent anterior clinoidectomy by the senior author (J.H.) through the LSO approach. We analyzed the operative videos paying particular attention to the surgical technique used for removal of the anterior clinoid process (ACP) and compared the microsurgical nuances to postoperative complications related to anterior clinoidectomy. RESULTS: Forty-five patients were treated for aneurysms; 35 patients for intraorbital, parasellar, and suprasellar tumors; and 2 patients for carotid-cavernous fistulas. Intradural anterior clinoidectomy was performed in 67 (82%) cases; in 15 (18%) cases an extradural approach was used. In 51 (62%) cases, ACP was removed completely, whereas in the remaining 31 (38%) a tailored anterior clinoidectomy was performed. Four (5%) patients had new postoperative visual deficits and 3 (4%) experienced a worsening of preoperative visual deficits. Twelve (15%) patients improved their preoperative visual deficits after intradural anterior clinoidectomy. Ultrasonic bone device is a useful tool but may damage the optic nerve when performing anterior clinoidectomy. There was no mortality in our series. CONCLUSION: Anterior clinoidectomy can be performed through an LSO approach with a safety profile that is comparable to other approaches. Ultrasonic bone dissector is a useful tool but may lead to injury of the optic nerve and should be used very carefully in its vicinity.
Authors:
Rossana Romani; Ahmed Elsharkawy; Aki Laakso; Marko Kangasniemi; Juha Hernesniemi
Related Documents :
9065627 - A minimally invasive technique for endoscopic middle ear surgery.
22370567 - Soft tissue filler and botulinum toxin treatment techniques.
10994427 - Surgical therapy of chronic mastoiditis with cholesteatoma.
19057287 - Superior semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome: successful treatment with repair of th...
15309647 - The failed pelvic pouch: conversion to a continent ileostomy.
17040607 - Do all epistaxis patients with a nasal pack need admission? a retrospective study of 11...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2011-11-7
Journal Detail:
Title:  World neurosurgery     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1878-8750     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2011 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-11-28     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101528275     Medline TA:  World Neurosurg     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2011. Published by Elsevier Inc.
Affiliation:
Department of Neurosurgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Efficacy and Safety of a Porcine Collagen Sponge for Cranial Neurosurgery: A Prospective Case-Contro...
Next Document:  The Use of Nanoparticles as Contrast Media in Neuroimaging: A Statement on Toxicity.