Document Detail


Comparison of acute myocardial infarct size to two-year mortality in patients <65 to those > or =65 years of age.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  10569325     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Older patients have higher in-hospital and longer term mortality after myocardial infarction. To determine if larger infarct size correlates with this observation, myocardium at risk was measured on arrival to the hospital in 347 patients with acute myocardial infarction, and final infarct size was measured at hospital discharge in a subset of 274 of these patients. Myocardium at risk and final infarct size were quantified by tomographic technetium-99m sestamibi imaging. Statistical analyses examined the associations between age, myocardium at risk, final infarct size, and both in-hospital and postdischarge mortality. Median value for age was 64 years, and myocardium at risk was 24% and final infarct size was 12% of the left ventricle. There was no correlation between age and myocardium at risk (r = 0.04, p = NS) or final infarct size (r = 0.06, p = NS). In-hospital mortality was 4% overall and was 2% for patients <65 years old versus 6% for those > or =65 years old (chi-square 11.3, p<0.001). In-hospital mortality was not associated with myocardium at risk (chi square <1, p = NS). For the subset of 274 patients in whom final infarct size was measured, the subsequent 2-year mortality rate was 3% and was independently associated with both age (chi-square 15.6, p<0.001) and final infarct size (chi-square 9.7, p = 0.002). Survival was excellent for patients who were either <65 years old (2-year mortality 1%) or had an infarct size <12% (2-year mortality 0%). For patients > or =65 years old with infarct size > or =12%, 2-year mortality was 13%. These results demonstrate that older patients do not have larger infarcts. Advanced age is associated with higher in-hospital and postdischarge mortality, independent of infarct size.
Authors:
T D Miller; T F Christian; D O Hodge; M R Hopfenspirger; B J Gersh; R J Gibbons
Related Documents :
19506115 - Relation of disease pathogenesis and risk factors to heart failure with preserved or re...
8125425 - Reduced mortality and morbidity with the use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor...
15385655 - Relation between renal dysfunction and cardiovascular outcomes after myocardial infarct...
22483625 - Early repolarization pattern predicts cardiac death and fatal arrhythmia in patients wi...
22135185 - Pharmacogenetics in chronic heart failure: new developments and current challenges.
20113325 - Estimation of coronary flow velocity reserve using transthoracic doppler echocardiograp...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Comparative Study; Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The American journal of cardiology     Volume:  84     ISSN:  0002-9149     ISO Abbreviation:  Am. J. Cardiol.     Publication Date:  1999 Nov 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1999-12-02     Completed Date:  1999-12-02     Revised Date:  2006-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0207277     Medline TA:  Am J Cardiol     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  1170-5     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA. miller.todd@mayo.edu
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Age Factors
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Female
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Myocardial Infarction / mortality*,  pathology*
Radiopharmaceuticals / diagnostic use
Survival Analysis
Technetium Tc 99m Sestamibi / diagnostic use
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Radiopharmaceuticals; 109581-73-9/Technetium Tc 99m Sestamibi

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Effect of quinapril or metoprolol on circadian sympathetic and parasympathetic modulation after acut...
Next Document:  Early use of ACE inhibitors in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction in the United States: ex...