Document Detail


Comparison of 0.625mm source CT images vs. 5mm thick reconstructed images in the evaluation for renal calculi in at risk patients.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22849789     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Abstract: Background and Purpose: Computerized tomography (CT) has become a well established modality in the evaluation of urinary calculi. The advent of multi-detector CT (MDCT) scanners and sub-millimeter thick slice acquisitions has yielded CT images with even greater resolution. MDCT scanners allow for source data slice acquisition with sub-millimeter slice thickness. These source images can then be reconstructed to thicker slices for more convenient interpretation of the CT scan. Previous authors have looked at the effect of slice thickness on detection of urinary calculi. We investigated whether the thin slice source images yielded detection of additional stones and the potential significance of detecting these additional stones. Patients and Methods: 95 consecutive patients referred to our outpatient imaging center for CT, with a clinical history placing them at risk for urinary calculi, were included in the study. Results: In 49 of the 95 patients (52%), more calculi were visualized utilizing the 0.625 mm thick images than with the 5 mm thick images. In 34 of these 49 patients (69%), the additional findings were felt to be "clinically significant", while in the remaining 15 patients (31%) the additional findings were not felt to be clinically significant. In 46 of the 95 patients (48%), there were no additional urinary calculi identified on the 0.625 mm thick images compared to that observed on 5 mm thick images. Conclusion: The results from this study encourage reviewing the thin slice source images of MDCTs in patients at risk for urinary calculi, as important clinical decisions may hinge upon the additional findings made on these images.
Authors:
Robert Berkenblit; David Hoenig; Daniel Lerer; Melanie Moses; Lloyd Minsky
Related Documents :
22527159 - Pelvic inflammatory disease: evaluation of diagnostic accuracy with conventional mr wit...
22586259 - Pulmonary venous anatomy imaging with low-dose, prospectively ecg-triggered, high-pitch...
22426939 - Mr imaging findings in flexed abducted supinated (fabs) position and clinical presentat...
22578829 - Automated volumetric assessment by noncontrast computed tomography in the surveillance ...
22351849 - Multiple sclerosis lesions and irreversible brain tissue damage: a comparative ultrahig...
22847729 - Lung ultrasound in the diagnosis of stroke-associated pneumonia.
23372439 - (18)f-flt-pet for response evaluation of mek inhibitor selumetinib (azd6244, arry-14288...
17161039 - Single-photon emission computed tomography/computed tomography in abdominal diseases.
21532539 - Fdg- and amyloid-pet in alzheimer's disease: is the whole greater than the sum of the p...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-7-31
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of endourology / Endourological Society     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1557-900X     ISO Abbreviation:  J. Endourol.     Publication Date:  2012 Jul 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-8-1     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8807503     Medline TA:  J Endourol     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Montefiore Medical Center, Department of Radiology, Bronx, New York, United States; rberkenb@montefiore.org.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Transplantation of EPCs ameliorates vascular dysfunction and portal hypertension in CCl(4) -induced ...
Next Document:  Cancer awareness among adolescents in Britain: a cross-sectional study.