Document Detail


Colo-rectal anastomotic leakage often masquerades as a cardiac complication.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  14692947     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to identify the mode of presentation of patients with clinical anastomotic leaks following restorative colorectal resection for carcinoma. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Prospective information was collected on all patients having restorative resection of colorectal cancer. These data were reviewed for a five-year period (1994-1998) to identify all patients who had suffered a clinical anastomotic leak and their notes were retrieved and reviewed. RESULTS: Three hundred and seventy-nine patients underwent restorative resection for colorectal cancer during the study period (178 female, 201 male), mean age 70 years (range 36-94). There were 22 (6%) clinical anastomotic leaks. Seven (32%) patients presented with obvious abdominal peritonitis. The remaining 15 (68%) were initially misdiagnosed. Thirteen (59%) patients were treated for cardiac symptoms, 1 (5%) patient for obstruction and 1 (5%) for ascites. The delay in diagnosis ranged from 0 to 11 days (mean 4 days). For the whole series of 379 there were 30 patients who suffered cardiac symptoms (8%) 13(43%) of whom had an anastomotic leak. CONCLUSION: Patients who develop cardiac symptoms following restorative colorectal resection for carcinoma should have a water soluble enema as there is a 40% chance that they will have an anastomotic leak.
Authors:
C D Sutton; L J Marshall; N Williams; D P Berry; W M Thomas; M J Kelly
Related Documents :
14695467 - Beta-blockers prevent cardiac events in japanese patients with myocardial infarction.
11422227 - Patients with pulmonary and cardiac disease show an elevated proportion of immature ret...
12013077 - Perioperative morbidity following total knee arthroplasty among obese patients.
12560347 - Minor increases in plasma troponin i predict decreased left ventricular ejection fracti...
3488677 - An unusual complication of chronic pancreatitis: a recanalized portal tree communicatin...
11096517 - Aortic regurgitation.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Colorectal disease : the official journal of the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland     Volume:  6     ISSN:  1462-8910     ISO Abbreviation:  Colorectal Dis     Publication Date:  2004 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2003-12-24     Completed Date:  2004-06-29     Revised Date:  2004-11-17    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  100883611     Medline TA:  Colorectal Dis     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  21-2     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Surgery, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK. crisdsutton@msn.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Anastomosis, Surgical / adverse effects
Colon / surgery*
Colorectal Neoplasms / surgery*
Diagnostic Errors
Female
Heart Diseases / diagnosis*
Humans
Male
Middle Aged
Postoperative Complications / diagnosis*
Prospective Studies
Rectum / surgery*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  The prevalence of small, flat colorectal cancers in a western population.
Next Document:  Proctocolectomy and pelvic pouch--is a diverting stoma dangerous for the patient?