Document Detail


Clinical and prognostic features of Nigerians with chronic myeloid leukemia.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16633379     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES: Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). PATIENTS AND METHODS: CML patients confirmed at the OAUTHC, Ile-Ife between June 1986 and December 1999 were studied prospectively until death or the last visit to the clinic. Stages of the disease at diagnosis, presenting clinical features and laboratory parameters, as well as the drug history were noted for each patient. Survival of each patient was computed from the date of diagnosis until the date of death. Kaplan-Meier statistical technique was used for analysis of survival. Factors were compared with log rank test. Student's t-test was used for comparing means of presenting clinical and laboratory parameters between groups. P-value of <0.05 was considered significant. SPSS for windows Release 10 (Real Stats, Real Easy, 1989-1999) was used for all calculations. RESULTS AND CONCLUSION: There were 42 patients (27 males and 15 females, ratio of 1.8:1) with ages ranging from 12-74 (median=38.0) years. Philadelphia chromosome was positive in the five patients (12.0%) that underwent cytogenetic analysis. Thirty-three of the patients (78.6%) presented in treatable chronic phase and the other 9 (21.4%) were seen in advanced stages (7 in accelerated & 2 in blastic phase). The median survival of patients that presented in chronic phase was 31.7 months compared to 0.16 months in patients presenting in advanced stages, the difference was statistically significant (log rank=7.8, p-value=0.005). Significant positive correlation was obtained between spleen size and total white cell count at diagnosis (r=0.36, p=0.02). Univariate regression analysis showed negative relationship between survival and ages of patients at diagnosis, haematocrit value, spleen and liver sizes, and blast count. The relationships were statistically significant for only liver and spleen (b=-0.63, p=0.004 and b=-0.51, p=0.026, respectively). Regression of both the liver and spleen with survival, still confirms the significant negative relationship between hepatomegaly and survival.
Authors:
P O Boma; M A Durosinmi; I A Adediran; N O Akinola; L Salawu
Related Documents :
10352329 - Transcripts of immunoglobulin germline mu: an amplified myeloid and b-lymphoid common g...
3860489 - A phase ii study of mitoxantrone in acute leukemia.
6580929 - Therapy of acute lymphocytic leukemia in childhood with intermediate dose methotrexate ...
24490799 - Drug safety evaluation of ropinirole prolonged release.
284169 - Characteristics of long-term survivors in aml.
21054149 - Phase ii trials of single-agent anti-vegf therapy for patients with chronic lymphocytic...
19136479 - Infertility patients' beliefs about their embryos and their disposition preferences.
23535239 - Implementing an obstetrical triage acuity scale: inter-rater reliability and patient fl...
25458059 - The inpatient fracture neck of femur: an important subgroup of patients.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The Nigerian postgraduate medical journal     Volume:  13     ISSN:  1117-1936     ISO Abbreviation:  Niger Postgrad Med J     Publication Date:  2006 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2006-04-24     Completed Date:  2007-02-20     Revised Date:  2007-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9613595     Medline TA:  Niger Postgrad Med J     Country:  Nigeria    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  47-52     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Haematology, Federal Medical Centre, and Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Aged
Child
Female
Humans
Leukemia, Myelogenous, Chronic, BCR-ABL Positive / genetics,  mortality,  pathology*
Leukocyte Count
Male
Middle Aged
Nigeria / epidemiology
Philadelphia Chromosome
Prognosis
Prospective Studies
Survival Rate

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Histopathological study of liver diseases at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Nigeria (1989-2...
Next Document:  Pattern of chronic diarrhoea in children: a prospective analysis of causes, clinical features and ou...