Document Detail


Clinical outcome in patients with intermediate stenosis of left anterior descending coronary artery after deferral of revascularization on the basis of noninvasive coronary flow reserve measurement.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  19054024     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: Several reports suggest that noninvasive measurements of coronary flow reserve (CFR) by use of echocardiography may support decision making in intermediate stenosis of the left anterior descending coronary artery (LAD). The aim of the present study was therefore to analyze the clinical outcome in patients with intermediate stenosis of LAD after deferral of coronary revascularization on the basis of noninvasive CFR measurement. METHODS: the study population included 280 patients with intermediate LAD stenosis (50-70% by angiography) (62.2 +/- 9.6 years). All the patients underwent transthoracic CFR assessment of LAD (after dipyridamole infusion) within 2 weeks from coronary angiography. If CFR of LAD was < or = 2, PTCA was recommended; if CFR was > 2, medical treatment was chosen. Primary end points were cardiac death, myocardial infarction, coronary revascularization procedure, and unstable angina. RESULTS: mean follow-up was 43 +/- 11 months (range 12-52 months). In 150 patients (53.6%) (CFR < or = 2), coronary artery revascularization was performed (PTCA group); the remaining 130 patients (46.4%) (CFR > 2) were medically treated (medical group). Survival from cardiac death was 94% in the PTCA group and 92.4% in the medical group (P = 0.56). As for all cardiac events, the Kaplan-Meier percentage survival from cardiac events was 88.3% in the PTCA group and 86.4% in the medical group (P = 0.36). CONCLUSIONS: even if CFR as a "stand-alone" diagnostic criterion suffers from several structural limitations, a combined strategy including also other clinical and instrumental measurements before undergoing interventional procedures could improve the cost-benefit practice, in particular, for the management of patients with intermediate LAD stenosis.
Authors:
Antonello D'Andrea; Sergio Severino; Claudia Mita; Lucia Riegler; Rosangela Cocchia; Rita Gravino; Francesca Castaldo; Raffaella Scarafile; Gemma Salerno; Sergio Pirone; Paolo Calabrò; Maurizio Cappelli Bigazzi; Rodolfo Citro; Sergio Cuomo; Pio Caso; Raffaele Calabrò
Related Documents :
8150644 - Comparison of quality of life before and after coronary artery bypass surgery and percu...
22256304 - Cold intermittent cardioplegia reduces the acidosis during prolonged cardiac surgery wi...
8855424 - The management of post-cardiac transplantation coronary artery disease.
9879444 - Enhanced coronary vasoconstriction after ptca in patients with acute ischemia.
12544074 - Evaluation of reconstruction windows for multislice computed tomography in quantificati...
3414544 - Relation of peak creatine kinase levels during acute myocardial infarction to presence ...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Controlled Clinical Trial; Journal Article     Date:  2008-12-02
Journal Detail:
Title:  Echocardiography (Mount Kisco, N.Y.)     Volume:  26     ISSN:  1540-8175     ISO Abbreviation:  Echocardiography     Publication Date:  2009 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2009-04-22     Completed Date:  2009-07-07     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8511187     Medline TA:  Echocardiography     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  431-40     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Chair of Cardiology, Second University of Naples, Via G. Martucci 35, Naples, Italy. antonellodandrea@libero.it
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Coronary Artery Disease / epidemiology*,  ultrasonography*
Female
Fractional Flow Reserve, Myocardial*
Humans
Incidence
Italy / epidemiology
Male
Middle Aged
Myocardial Revascularization / statistics & numerical data*
Prognosis
Treatment Outcome

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  An unusual presentation of an anomalous left coronary artery arising from the pulmonary artery (ALCA...
Next Document:  Assessment of regional myocardial function in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy by velocity vecto...