Document Detail


Clinical and laboratory characteristics of children positive for antiphospholipid antibodies.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22244004     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: It is difficult to estimate the actual prevalence of antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) in the paediatric population since there are no standardised criteria. We aimed to assess clinical and laboratory characteristics of a cohort of children positive for antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) to contribute to the understanding of the heterogeneous aPL-related features in childhood.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: Forty-four patients with prolonged activated partial thromboplastin time were enrolled and assigned to group I ("transiently positive") or group II ("persistently positive"), based on the detection of elevated aPL plasma levels [lupus anticoagulant (LA), anticardiolipin (aCL), and anti-β2-glycoprotein I (anti-β2GPI) antibodies] on, respectively, one or more occasions, at least 12 weeks apart, by standard procedures. The clinical history and symptoms of all patients were recorded.
RESULTS: Thirty-three (75%) patients were assigned to group I, while the other 11 (25%) formed group II. Major associated diseases in group I were urticarial vasculitis (21%), acute infections (18%) and thalassaemia (12%). Five subjects (15%) were asymptomatic. Four out of the 11 subjects (36%) in group II had thrombotic events; they were all persistently aPL-positive and two of them had concomitant systemic lupus erythematosus. The rate of detection of LA-positivity was not significantly different between the two groups (76% vs 91%, p>0.05), whereas the percentage of patients positive for overall aCL was higher in group II than in group I (54% vs 42%, respectively; p<0.05). Specifically, aCL IgG and anti-β2GPI IgM subtypes were significantly more represented in group II than in group I (100% vs 62% and 75% vs 33%, respectively; p<0.05).
DISCUSSION: Our study shows that aPL-positive children have different features that should be taken into account in the classification of criteria for paediatric APS.
Authors:
Paola Giordano; Riccardina Tesse; Giuseppe Lassandro; Deborah Fracchiolla; Prudenza Ranieri; Antonella Lotito; Domenico De Mattia; Giovanni Carlo Del Vecchio
Related Documents :
22173714 - The effect of the introduction of the eras protocol in laparoscopic total mesorectal ex...
21684634 - Single-session extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy for urinary calculi: factors predi...
22215944 - Posterior lingual lidocaine: a novel method to improve tolerance in upper gastrointesti...
9883414 - Long-term results of unconstrained roper-tuke total elbow arthroplasty in patients with...
10522184 - Implant-retained mandibular overdentures compared with complete dentures; a 5-years' fo...
23916724 - Long-term outcome of young onset parkinson's disease after subthalamic stimulation-a cr...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2011-12-21
Journal Detail:
Title:  Blood transfusion = Trasfusione del sangue     Volume:  10     ISSN:  1723-2007     ISO Abbreviation:  Blood Transfus     Publication Date:  2012 Jul 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-08-14     Completed Date:  2012-12-28     Revised Date:  2013-06-26    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101237479     Medline TA:  Blood Transfus     Country:  Italy    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  296-301     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Biomedicine of Developmental Age, University of Bari, Bari, Italy. giordano@bioetaev.uniba.it
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Antibodies, Antiphospholipid / blood*
Antiphospholipid Syndrome / blood*,  epidemiology*
Child
Child, Preschool
Female
Humans
Infant
Male
Partial Thromboplastin Time / methods
Prevalence
Prospective Studies
Retrospective Studies
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Antibodies, Antiphospholipid
Comments/Corrections

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  The pre-hospital epidemiology and management of spinal cord injuries in New South Wales: 2004-2008.
Next Document:  Unfractionated Heparin Dosing in Young Infants: Clinical Outcomes in a Cohort Monitored by Anti-Xa L...