Document Detail

Climatic control of tracheid production of black spruce in dense mesic stands of eastern Canada.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23355635     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Inferences on climate change effects are reliable only if they are based on a causal relationship rather than simple statistical predictive capacity. To assess for causal links between climate and mature black spruce (Picea mariana (Mills.) BSP) radial growth, we combined the use of wood anatomy, cambium phenology, climate and soil measurements (air temperature and humidity, precipitations, soil temperature and water content, photosynthetically active radiation), and a model selection approach proceeding backwards from a full model. Results show that the number of tracheids is responsible for 88% of the variation in ring width whereas mean tracheid diameter accounts for the remaining 12%. The number of tracheids produced depends on factors related to photosynthesis during tracheid production, i.e., daily light intensity and maximum temperature between the day of initiation and the day of cessation of tracheid production, plus soil temperature during August of the previous year which is an important period for determining the number of new needles produced. It is also important to consider duration of the period for tracheid production. These results imply that short-term climate change should increase black spruce radial growth. They also suggest that the typical use of post-growth ring width sampling individually linked to air temperature and precipitations is not sufficient to infer climate change effects accurately on radial growth where there is no strong single climatic limitation but multiple limitations instead.
Boris Dufour; Hubert Morin
Related Documents :
24504145 - Plant chromatin warms up in madrid: meeting summary of the 3rd european workshop on pla...
25051475 - Ten years of industrial and municipal membrane bioreactor (mbr) systems - lessons from ...
21371465 - Antioxidant and signal modulation properties of plant polyphenols in controlling vascul...
24417645 - The irocs toolbox - 3d analysis of the plant root apical meristem at cellular resolution.
24740985 - Polar delivery in plants; commonalities and differences to animal epithelial cells.
15811405 - Effect of design parameters in horizontal flow constructed wetland on the behaviour of ...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2013-1-25
Journal Detail:
Title:  Tree physiology     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1758-4469     ISO Abbreviation:  Tree Physiol.     Publication Date:  2013 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-1-28     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  100955338     Medline TA:  Tree Physiol     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Département des sciences fondamentales, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi, 555 boulevard de l'Université, Chicoutimi, Québec, Canada G7H 2B1.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine

Previous Document:  Dry weight partitioning and hydraulic traits in young Pinus taeda trees fertilized with nitrogen and...
Next Document:  Characterisation of predominant molecular patterns of Burkholderia pseudomallei in Taiwan.