Document Detail


Chest pain of recent onset requires prompt diagnosis.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20669820     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Process    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
The NICE guidance on recent onset chest pain urges GPs to assess the nature and timing of acute pain rapidly and arrange urgent admission for suspected acute coronary syndrome. A 12-lead ECG should be performed and treatment commenced with 300 mg aspirin and GTN spray. Other pain relief such as opiates should be considered. However, starting management and recording a resting ECG should not delay transfer to hospital. Patients should be monitored while awaiting transfer. GPs can diagnose stable angina either on clinical assessment alone or combined with diagnostic testing (anatomical testing for obstructive coronary disease and/orfunctional testing for myocardial ischaemia). The presence or absence of the following three factors should be noted: a constricting discomfort in the front of the chest, or in the neck, shoulders, jaw, or arms; the discomfort is precipitated by physical exertion; the discomfort is relieved by rest or GTN within about 5 minutes. If all three factors are present the symptoms should be classified as typical angina, two factors atypical angina and one or none of these factors non-anginal chest pain. Once the initial assessment is complete the guidance recommends estimating the likelihood of coronary disease based on risk factors, age, sex and symptom classification. If clinical assessment suggests typical angina and the estimated likelihood of coronary disease is >90%, NICE advises that further diagnostic investigation is unnecessary. These patients should be managed as having angina. If the estimated likelihood of coronary disease is <10% then other non-ischaemic causes of chest pain should be considered.
Authors:
Peter Savill
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The Practitioner     Volume:  254     ISSN:  0032-6518     ISO Abbreviation:  Practitioner     Publication Date:  2010 Jun 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-07-30     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0404245     Medline TA:  Practitioner     Country:  England    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  19-22, 2     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Evidence for the efficacy of an 8% strontium acetate dentifrice for instant and lasting relief of de...
Next Document:  Managing unstable angina and non-ST elevation MI.