Document Detail


Changes in sexual desire and activity during pregnancy among women in Shahroud, Iran.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23073227     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate women's perception of sexual activity during pregnancy in Shahroud, Iran.
METHODS: Data were gathered during 4 semi-structured group interviews with 33 pregnant women attending 2 obstetric outpatient clinics of a teaching hospital in Shahroud. The interviewers taped the interviews, coded and categorized their content, and performed a qualitative content analysis.
RESULTS: Most women reported a decrease in sexual desire and frequency of intercourse during pregnancy (69.7% and 81.8%, respectively). Sexual desire, however, increased for 18.2% of the women. Some felt that accepting intercourse prevented spousal infidelity, but 65.2% worried that it might cause injury to the fetus. Only 24.2% received information on the advisability of sexual activity during pregnancy from their physicians or midwives, and the other 75.8% sensed that they should discuss the topic with a professional but were not comfortable starting the conversation.
CONCLUSION: Along with excessive anxiety, insufficient information is the major reason why sexual intercourse is often considered dangerous, and sometimes avoided, during pregnancy in Iran. Healthcare professionals, especially midwives, should educate and counsel women, and reassure them that intercourse is safe in women with healthy pregnancies.
Authors:
Raheleh Babazadeh; Khadigeh Mirzaii Najmabadi; Khadijeh Mirzaii; Zahra Masomi
Related Documents :
22247047 - Anti-müllerian hormone: a potential new tool in epidemiologic studies of female fecund...
21849687 - Gestational and fetal outcomes in b19 maternal infection: a problem of diagnosis.
22040207 - Reducing excessive gestational weight gain: lessons from the weight control literature ...
25295147 - Multiple sclerosis and pregnancy; what a neurologist may be asked for?
7378117 - Familial study on the "double pre-beta lipoproteinemia" and on a polymorphic pattern of...
19282247 - Dating and growth in the first trimester.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article     Date:  2012-10-14
Journal Detail:
Title:  International journal of gynaecology and obstetrics: the official organ of the International Federation of Gynaecology and Obstetrics     Volume:  120     ISSN:  1879-3479     ISO Abbreviation:  Int J Gynaecol Obstet     Publication Date:  2013 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-12-25     Completed Date:  2013-06-07     Revised Date:  2013-06-13    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0210174     Medline TA:  Int J Gynaecol Obstet     Country:  Ireland    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  82-4     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2012 International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Published by Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
Affiliation:
Reproductive Health, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Shahroud University of Medical Sciences, Shahroud, Iran. raheleh621@yahoo.com
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adolescent
Adult
Female
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice*
Hospitals, Teaching
Humans
Iran
Midwifery / methods
Outpatient Clinics, Hospital
Patient Education as Topic / methods*
Pregnancy
Sexual Behavior / psychology*
Sexuality / psychology*
Young Adult
Comments/Corrections
Erratum In:
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2013 Jun;121(3):294
Note: Mirzaii, Khadijeh [corrected to Najmabadi, Khadigeh Mirzaii]

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  A cationic gold complex cleaves BArF(24).
Next Document:  Self-reported natural history of recurrent prolapse among women presenting to a tertiary care center...