Document Detail


Catastrophe in asunción, paraguay.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  21991032     Owner:  NLM     Status:  PubMed-not-MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
On Sunday 1 August 2004, at noon, in a well-known supermarket (Ycua Bolaños) on the outskirts of Asunción, the capital of Paraguay, there was a violent explosion in the fast-food section. This was caused by a build-up of gases in the chimneys of the kitchen. The flames spread rapidly through the air ducts, causing a huge fire throughout the supermarket. When the fire broke out, there were about 1000 people present. According to official records, 424 people died in the disaster and 30 were reported missing. Various medical institutions admitted a total number of 360 patients with third-degree burns and/or damage to the airways. One hundred and eighteen patients were treated in the Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Burns Department of the Institute of Social Welfare Hospital, the centre of reference for the capital of Paraguay.
Authors:
B Balmelli; O Aquino; M Insaurralde; F Romero
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Annals of burns and fire disasters     Volume:  19     ISSN:  1592-9558     ISO Abbreviation:  Ann Burns Fire Disasters     Publication Date:  2006 Jun 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2011-10-12     Completed Date:  2011-11-10     Revised Date:  2013-05-29    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101251186     Medline TA:  Ann Burns Fire Disasters     Country:  Italy    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  95-8     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Department of Plastic Surgery, Reconstruction, and Burns, Central Hospital of the Institute of Social Welfare, Asunción, Paraguay.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Effects of high-frequency oscillatory ventilation and partial liquid ventilation on acute lung injur...
Next Document:  Home oxygen therapy and cigarette smoking: a dangerous practice.