Document Detail


Capillary and interstitial forces during fluid absorption in the cat small intestine.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  6690353     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
A systematic steady-state analysis of the forces and membrane coefficients governing transcapillary and lymphatic fluid fluxes was performed in the cat ileum under absorptive and nonabsorptive conditions. Net transmucosal fluid flux, lymph flow, capillary pressure, blood flow, capillary filtration coefficient, and lymph and plasma oncotic pressures were measured before and during perfusion of the ileal lumen with a glucose (20 mM)--Tyrode's solution. Interstitial fluid pressure was calculated for the two conditions from measured parameters. Stimulation of mucosal fluid absorption resulted in an increase in lymph flow (which tripled), capillary filtration coefficient (which doubled), capillary pressure (which increased by 9%), interstitial fluid pressure (which doubled), and blood flow (which increased by 16%), whereas interstitial (lymph) oncotic pressure fell (by 20%). These changes converted filtering capillaries to absorbing capillaries, thereby allowing 82% of the absorbed fluid to be removed from the mucosal interstitium via the capillaries, while the lymphatics removed the remaining 18%. The results of this study indicate that hydrostatic and oncotic forces within the interstitium are primarily responsible for preventing interstitial fluid accumulation during periods of net fluid absorption in the small bowel.
Authors:
D N Granger; M A Perry; P R Kvietys; A E Taylor
Related Documents :
2635343 - Effects of hypoxia and complement activation on lung hemodynamics and fluid exchanges i...
7283703 - Protein vs electrolytes and all of the starling forces.
20730073 - Blood pressure-independent effect of candesartan on cardio-ankle vascular index in hype...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Gastroenterology     Volume:  86     ISSN:  0016-5085     ISO Abbreviation:  Gastroenterology     Publication Date:  1984 Feb 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1984-02-21     Completed Date:  1984-02-21     Revised Date:  2007-11-14    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0374630     Medline TA:  Gastroenterology     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  267-73     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Blood Flow Velocity
Body Water / metabolism*
Capillaries / physiology
Capillary Resistance
Cats
Female
Glucose / pharmacology
Hydrostatic Pressure
Intestinal Absorption*
Intestinal Mucosa / physiology
Intestine, Small / physiology*
Lymphatic System / physiology*
Male
Grant Support
ID/Acronym/Agency:
HL-00816/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS; HL-26441/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
50-99-7/Glucose

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Supersaturated bile from obese patients without gallstones supports cholesterol crystal growth but n...
Next Document:  Effect of infusion of nutrient solutions into the ileum on gastrointestinal transit and plasma level...