Document Detail


Brucellosis and tuberculosis: Clinical overlap and pitfalls.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23870473     Owner:  NLM     Status:  In-Data-Review    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To identify characteristic features of tuberculosis in patients with culture proven brucellosis.
METHODS: A retrospective analysis was performed on patients diagnosed with culture proven brucellosis between January and December 2011, based on review of their medical records. Patients with demonstrable co-infection with tuberculosis were excluded. Clinical features, laboratory parameters and tissue histopathology reports where available were noted.
RESULTS: Thirty-two patients with brucellosis were included in the study. Twenty-one (65.63%) patients had chronic fever, thirteen (40.63%) had a productive cough, while significant weight loss, evening rise of temperature and night sweats were reported by eight (25.00%), eleven (34.38%) and five (15.63%) patients respectively. Nine (28.13%) patients had at least three of these symptoms. Lymphadenopathy, hepatomegaly and splenomegaly were noted on examination in seven (21.88%), fifteen (46.88%) and twelve (37.50%) patients respectively. Eight (25.00%) patients had hepato-splenomegaly, of these only two had associated significant lymphadenopathy. Respiratory examination was normal in all patients. Elevated ESR greater than 50 mm/hr was seen in eight (25.00%), it was greater than 100 mm/hr in five (15.63%) patients. Hypergammaglobulinemia was seen in eight (25.00%) cases. Bone marrow biopsy showed non-caseating granulomas in three (9.38%) cases, lymph node biopsy showed granulomas in one case. Overall, three (9.38%) patients had known risk factors for tuberculosis, while six (18.75%) had risk factors for brucellosis.
CONCLUSIONS: There is a clear overlap between brucellosis and tuberculosis both in terms of clinical presentation and laboratory parameters. It is essential to carefully rule out tuberculosis in all cases of suspected or proven brucellosis before initiating antimicrobial therapy, in order to forestall development of drug-resistant tuberculosis.
Authors:
Sowjanya Dasari; Kushal Naha; Mukhyaprana Prabhu
Related Documents :
8741113 - Ocular myopathy and mitochondrial dna deletion. a presentation of seven identified dani...
23934313 - Long-term efficacy and safety of pre-emptive maintenance therapy with rituximab in gran...
21553743 - Strategies for the management of postoperative atrial fibrillation.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Asian Pacific journal of tropical medicine     Volume:  6     ISSN:  1995-7645     ISO Abbreviation:  Asian Pac J Trop Med     Publication Date:  2013 Oct 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-07-22     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  101533720     Medline TA:  Asian Pac J Trop Med     Country:  Singapore    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  823-5     Citation Subset:  IM    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2013 Hainan Medical College. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
Affiliation:
Department of Medicine, Kasturba Hospital, Manipal-576 104, Karnataka, India.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  The study of KBP of road construction workers of highway AIDS prevention project before and after in...
Next Document:  Estrogen up-regulates MMP2/9 expression in endometrial epithelial cell via VEGF-ERK1/2 pathway.