Document Detail


Bridging large defects in bone by demineralized bone matrix in the form of a powder. A radiographic, histological, and radioisotope-uptake study in rats.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  3308895     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Demineralized bone powder was used as an osteoinductive substance to bridge very large defects (more than 50 per cent of the total length of the bone) in one radius of each of thirty-three rats. An identical defect was produced in the contralateral radius of each animal for use as a control. The defect on the control side was left unbridged or was bridged by large chips of autologous bone or an autologous inlay graft. All rats showed formation of new bone throughout the length of the radial defect only on the side in which the demineralized bone powder had been implanted. The control side, in which an autologous graft in the form of chips or inlay had been implanted, showed resorption of the graft. The maximum rate of formation of bone occurred fifteen to twenty-one days after implantation of the demineralized bone powder. At thirty-five days, the experimental defect was fully bridged, forming solid bone, in 71 per cent of the rats, and the remaining 29 per cent showed bridging of 95.8 per cent of the length of the defect, with union on one side. Analysis of the sequential radiographs, technetium-99m scans, and histological findings showed that the formation of bone and bridging of the defect were superior on the side in which the demineralized bone powder had been implanted compared with the side in which pieces of autologous bone or an autologous inlay graft had been used.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
Authors:
R Gepstein; R E Weiss; T Hallel
Related Documents :
7932015 - Periodontal regeneration: potential role of bone morphogenetic proteins.
8700975 - Evaluation of a novel osteogenic factor, bone cell stimulating substance, in a rabbit c...
8457415 - The quantification of bone tissue regeneration after electromagnetic stimulation.
18588485 - Enhanced osteoblast adhesion on self-assembled nanostructured hydrogel scaffolds.
2002075 - Healing of the transected anterior cruciate ligament in the rabbit.
20061975 - Secondary mandibular reconstruction after oral squamous cell carcinoma resection: clini...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Comparative Study; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume     Volume:  69     ISSN:  0021-9355     ISO Abbreviation:  J Bone Joint Surg Am     Publication Date:  1987 Sep 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1987-11-20     Completed Date:  1987-11-20     Revised Date:  2010-10-25    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0014030     Medline TA:  J Bone Joint Surg Am     Country:  UNITED STATES    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  984-92     Citation Subset:  AIM; IM; S    
Affiliation:
Orthopaedic Department of Meir General Hospital, Kfar Saba, Israel.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Bone Matrix / transplantation*
Bone Transplantation*
Bone and Bones / anatomy & histology,  radionuclide imaging
Densitometry
Male
Osteogenesis*
Radius / surgery*
Rats
Technetium Tc 99m Medronate / diagnostic use
Time Factors
Transplantation, Autologous
Transplantation, Homologous
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
63347-66-0/Technetium Tc 99m Medronate

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  The mechanism of 2-deoxy-glucose-induced insulin secretion in the mouse.
Next Document:  Hypnotherapy as a treatment for pain in patients with burns: research and clinical considerations.