Document Detail


Biopsied Oral Soft Tissue Lesions in Kuwait: A Six-Year Retrospective Analysis.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22699793     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Objectives: The aim of this study was to determine the relative frequency of biopsied oral soft tissue lesions in Kuwait. Materials and Methods: Biopsy records and microscopic sections of all oral soft tissue biopsies seen in the Department of Histopathology at Al-Amiri Hospital, Kuwait, between January 2004 and December 2009 were reviewed. The biopsies were divided into two major groups; group 1: nonneoplastic lesions, and group 2: neoplastic lesions. Group 1 was subdivided into reactive, inflammatory, cyst/cyst-like, dysplastic, and pigmented lesions. Group 2 was subdivided into epithelial and mesenchymal lesions, and also into benign and malignant lesions. Results: Of the 858 biopsies, 732 (85.3%) were nonneoplastic while the remaining 126 (14.7%) were neoplastic. In group 1, more than half of the lesions were within the reactive subgroup (n = 386; 52.7%) while in group 2, 94 (74.6%) lesions were epithelial in origin and 32 (25.4%) were mesenchymal. In addition, 70 (55.6%) lesions were malignant and 56 (44.4%) were benign. Of the 858 biopsies, the most common lesions were fibrous hyperplasias: 178 (20.7%); mucoceles: 110 (12.8%); pyogenic granulomas: 94 (11.0%); squamous cell carcinomas: 56 (6.5%), and lichenoid mucositis: 49 (5.7%). Conclusions: The majority of the lesions were nonneoplastic and were related to local irritation or trauma. Most neoplastic lesions were epithelial in origin. Oral squamous cell carcinoma was one of the most prevalent oral lesions highlighting the importance of prevention, early detection and diagnosis of oral cancer.
Authors:
Mohammad Ali; Devipriya Sundaram
Related Documents :
14535993 - Coexistence of focal nodular hyperplasia and pseudotumor caused by focal spared lesion ...
17715643 - Thoracoabdominal wall tumour seeding after percutaneous radiofrequency ablation for rec...
18721013 - Laparoscopic treatment of a huge cystic lymphangioma: partial aspiration technique with...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-6-12
Journal Detail:
Title:  Medical principles and practice : international journal of the Kuwait University, Health Science Centre     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1423-0151     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2012 Jun 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-6-15     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8901334     Medline TA:  Med Princ Pract     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2012 S. Karger AG, Basel.
Affiliation:
Department of Diagnostic Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, Jabriya, Kuwait.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Cost-analysis of PCR-guided pre-emptive antibiotic treatment of Staphylococcus aureus infections: an...
Next Document:  A compendium of inborn errors of metabolism mapped onto the human metabolic network.