Document Detail


Bicitropeptide powder and placebo in the treatment of duodenal ulcers. A double-blind endoscopically controlled clinical trial.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  7036376     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
In a double-blind study comprising 50 patients with endoscopically proven uncomplicated duodenal ulcers a powder formulation of bicitropeptide (BCP-Compound) was found to be superior to placebo. On endoscopic examination 19 patients (76%) treated with bicitropeptide powder had healed, while 3 (12%) showed some degree of healing, a total success rate of 88%. Only 5 patients (20%) on placebo had healed completely while 3 (12%) showed some degree of healing (chi 2 = 17,9667; P less than 0,0005). Blood and urine bismuth levels were measured before and after 6 and 12 weeks of therapy, and showed an increase after the first 6 weeks. By 12 weeks the levels had decreased, although they were still higher than the initial values. The blood levels were, however, significantly lower than postulated toxic levels.
Authors:
M G Moshal; J M Spitaels; R Bhoola; H van Leenhoff; F Khan
Related Documents :
1641586 - Long-term treatment with 300 mg ranitidine once daily after dilatation of peptic oesoph...
24694276 - Excellent results with the cemented lubinus sp ii 130-mm femoral stem at 10 years of fo...
21195466 - Prostate size is not associated with recovery of sexual function after minimally invasi...
6896406 - Xanthine oxidase inhibitor in duchenne muscular dystrophy.
19690916 - Open versus minilaparoscopic herniorrhaphy for children: a prospective comparative tria...
8020206 - Prospective analysis of uncemented and hybrid primary porous coated anatomic total hip ...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Clinical Trial; Comparative Study; Journal Article; Randomized Controlled Trial    
Journal Detail:
Title:  South African medical journal = Suid-Afrikaanse tydskrif vir geneeskunde     Volume:  61     ISSN:  0256-9574     ISO Abbreviation:  S. Afr. Med. J.     Publication Date:  1982 Feb 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1982-04-12     Completed Date:  1982-04-12     Revised Date:  2014-09-12    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0404520     Medline TA:  S Afr Med J     Country:  SOUTH AFRICA    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  234-5     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Anti-Ulcer Agents / therapeutic use*
Bismuth / therapeutic use*
Clinical Trials as Topic
Double-Blind Method
Duodenal Ulcer / drug therapy*
Humans
Metalloproteins*
Proteins / therapeutic use*
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Anti-Ulcer Agents; 0/Metalloproteins; 0/Proteins; 72484-77-6/bicitropeptide; U015TT5I8H/Bismuth

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Lawrence Herbert Wells and the history of anatomical illustration.
Next Document:  Midazolam, a new intravenous induction agent for anaesthesia.