Document Detail


Axillary artery injury associated with proximal humerus fractures.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  18690595     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Penetrating trauma is the primary cause of upper extremity vascular injury almost in 95% of cases. Blunt trauma due to traffic or industrial accidents and falls account for the remaining 5% to 10%. However axillary artery injury from blunt trauma to the shoulder is extremely rare. The location of the axillary artery, surrounded by the bones and muscles of the shoulder girdle, explains the low incidence of trauma suffered by this arterial segment. But its anatomical proximity to the humeral head makes it quite vulnerable to blunt trauma during shoulder injury. Herein we report two cases of axillary artery injury after proximal humerus fracture, discussing their diagnosis and management.
Authors:
G Mouzopoulos; N Lassanianos; D Mouzopoulos; M Tzurbakis; I Georgilas
Related Documents :
24187345 - Tapered fluted modular titanium stems in the management of vancouver b2 and b3 peri-pro...
8108155 - The management of blunt fractures of the thyroid cartilage.
1609605 - Acute osteomyelitis complicating a closed radial fracture in a child. a case report.
11951425 - Usefulness of endoscopy in craniofacial trauma.
18248285 - Measurement of spinal range of motion in healthy individuals using an electromagnetic t...
19369575 - Replication of the range of native anterior cruciate ligament fiber length change behav...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Case Reports; Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  VASA. Zeitschrift für Gefässkrankheiten     Volume:  37     ISSN:  0301-1526     ISO Abbreviation:  VASA     Publication Date:  2008 Aug 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2008-08-11     Completed Date:  2008-10-16     Revised Date:  2012-10-19    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0317051     Medline TA:  Vasa     Country:  Switzerland    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  274-7     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Orthopaedic Department of Evangelismos Hospital, Athens, Greece. gmouzopoulos@yahoo.gr
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Accidental Falls*
Aged
Anastomosis, Surgical
Axillary Artery / injuries*,  radiography,  surgery
Fascia / surgery
Female
Fracture Fixation, Internal
Humans
Ligation
Male
Middle Aged
Saphenous Vein / transplantation
Shoulder Fractures / complications*,  etiology,  surgery
Treatment Outcome
Vascular Surgical Procedures
Wounds, Nonpenetrating / complications*,  etiology,  surgery

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Distribution pattern of infrageniculate arterial obstructions in patients with diabetes mellitus and...
Next Document:  Acute iliofemoral deep venous thrombosis due to giant ovarian tumor: report of a hybrid treatment.