Document Detail


Application of hemoglobin analysis by CO-oximeter to medico-legal practice with special reference to diagnosis of asphyxia.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  1303435     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Hemoglobin analysis by CO-oximeter is more easily and rapidly available method than other spectrophotometric or GC methods. In the present study, the possibility of diagnosis of asphyxia by CO-oximeter was examined experimentally using rabbits. When measured value of oxyhemoglobin (O2Hb) was lower than about 20% and that of deoxyhemoglobin (HHb) was, on the other hand, higher than about 80%, being accompanied by low measured values of both methemoglobin (MetHb) and CO-hemoglobin (COHb) (< 5%), asphyxia should be firstly considered as the cause of death. To the corpses found at the scene of fire, three chief factors causing death such as burns, suffocation due to oxygen deficiency and intoxication by poisonous gases may have occurred simultaneously, and through measuring the values of O2Hb, COHb, MetHb and HHb, the main lethal factor could be selected out among these three factors above and the cause of death could be examined much more closely. Because of easy and rapid analysis, it could be considered that CO-oximeter was useful for forensic practices and police activities.
Authors:
T Ohshima; T Takayasu; J Nishigami; Z Lin; T Kondo; T Nagano
Related Documents :
10404445 - Changing mortality and causes of death in infants 23-27 weeks' gestational age.
21989065 - Where's waldo? the 'decapitation gambit' and the definition of death.
22368655 - Palliative balloon dilation of native coarctation of the aorta in a preterm infant.
12157935 - Health crisis in russia. ii. changes in causes of death: a comparison with france and e...
17508125 - Craniocervical instability in an infant with partial sacral agenesis.
23771485 - A closer look at the brain of newborn infants with a congenital heart defect.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Nihon hōigaku zasshi = The Japanese journal of legal medicine     Volume:  46     ISSN:  0047-1887     ISO Abbreviation:  Nihon Hoigaku Zasshi     Publication Date:  1992 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  1993-06-24     Completed Date:  1993-06-24     Revised Date:  2006-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0413715     Medline TA:  Nihon Hoigaku Zasshi     Country:  JAPAN    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  382-8     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Legal Medicine, Kanazawa University School of Medicine, Japan.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Animals
Asphyxia / diagnosis*
Forensic Medicine*
Hemoglobins / analysis*
Oximetry / methods*
Rabbits
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Hemoglobins

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  The course of respiration and circulation in death due to various types of asphyxia.
Next Document:  Fire death and hypoxic death.