Document Detail


Anti-inflammatory effect of triterpene 3β, 6β, 16β-trihydroxylup-20(29)-ene obtained from Combretum leprosum Mart & Eich in mice.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  22575213     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
ETHNOPHARMACOLOGICAL RELEVANCE: The 3β, 6β, 16β-trihydroxylup-20(29)-ene (TTHL) is a pentacyclic triterpene obtained from a medicinal plant named Combretum leprosum. In folk medicine, this plant is used to treat several diseases associated with inflammation and pain. We previously demonstrated that TTHL presents a significant antinociceptive effect, suggesting the involvement of the glutamatergic system. AIM OF THE STUDY: This study was designed to investigate the effect of TTHL on nociception and vascular permeability induced by acetic acid. We also evaluated the effect of TTHL on carrageenan-induced peritonitis and the levels of cytokines (interleukin 1-β [IL-1β], tumor necrosis factor α [TNF-α] and interleukin 10 [IL-10]) on peritoneal fluid. MATERIALS AND METHODS: TTHL was administered orally by intra-gastric gavage (i.g.) 60min prior to experimentation. Abdominal contractions and vascular permeability were induced by an intraperitoneal (i.p.) injection of acetic acid (0.6%). We also investigated whether TTHL decreases carrageenan-induced peritonitis (750μg/cavity) by measuring leukocyte migration and vascular permeability. In addition, we evaluated the effects of TTHL on TNF-α, IL-1β and IL-10 release induced by carrageenan on peritoneal fluid. The levels of these cytokines were measured by ELISA. RESULTS: TTHL (0.01-10mg/kg) administered by intra-gastric (i.g.) gavage inhibited (69±3%) acetic acid-induced abdominal constrictions, with an ID(50) of 0.15 (0.03-0.8)mg/kg. TTHL (10mg/kg) also reduced the leukocyte infiltration induced by acetic acid, with an inhibition of 59±9 but had no effect on abdominal vascular permeability. In addition, indomethacin (10mg/kg, i.p.) reduced the nociceptive behavior (92±1%), total leukocyte migration (29±3%) and capillary permeability (71±3%) induced by acetic acid. While the glucocorticoid dexamethasone (2mg/kg, s.c.) reduced partially but significantly the nociception (31±1%), besides to promote a marked reduction on total leukocyte migration (60±2%) to the peritoneal cavity caused by acetic acid. In a model of peritonitis induced by carrageenan, TTHL also reduced total leukocyte migration, mainly neutrophils (inhibition of 84±3% and 85±2% at 30mg/kg and 100mg/kg, respectively). Likewise, dexamethasone (0.5mg/kg, i.p.) resulted in an inhibition of 93±3%. Nevertheless, carrageenan-induced abdominal vascular permeability was reduced by dexamethasone but was not altered by TTHL. Furthermore, dexamethasone and TTHL significantly reduced the TNF-α and IL-1β levels in peritoneal fluid, whereas the IL-10 levels were unchanged. CONCLUSIONS: Altogether, our data confirm the antinociceptive effect of TTHL and demonstrate its effect in inflammatory animal models, providing novel data about this compound, which could be useful as an anti-inflammatory drug.
Authors:
Daniela T Longhi-Balbinot; Débora Lanznaster; Cristiane Hatsuko Baggio; Morgana Duarte Silva; Celeste Heiseke Cabrera; Valdir A Facundo; Adair R S Santos
Related Documents :
20734933 - Cytotoxic pentacyclic triterpenoids from combretum oliviforme.
19158653 - A new atisane-type diterpene from the bark of the mangrove plant excoecaria agallocha.
8574903 - Extraction and characterization of the insecticidal toxin hirsutellin a produced by hir...
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-4-17
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of ethnopharmacology     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1872-7573     ISO Abbreviation:  -     Publication Date:  2012 Apr 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-5-11     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  7903310     Medline TA:  J Ethnopharmacol     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Copyright Information:
Copyright © 2012. Published by Elsevier Ireland Ltd.
Affiliation:
Laboratório de Neurobiologia da Dor e Inflamação, Departamento de Ciências Fisiológicas, Centro de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Campus Universitário-Trindade, Florianópolis, SC, Brazil; Programa de Pós-Graduação em Neurociências, Centro de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Campus Universitário-Trindade, Florianópolis, SC, Brazil.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Use of recreational drug 1,3 Dimethylamylamine (DMAA) [corrected] associated with cerebral hemorrhag...
Next Document:  Epithelial to mesenchymal transition: new and old insights from the classical neural crest model.