Document Detail


Admission of hypertensive patients at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Nigeria.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  17886427     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
BACKGROUND: There is a suggestion of an identifiable impact of hypertension on all cause mortality in rural Africa. There is however paucity of hard data on the impact of morbidity or modality from this disease. OBJECTIVE: To determine the contribution of hypertension (HT) to adult morbidity and mortality at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) in Benin City, Nigeria. DESIGN: Retrospective study. SETTING: University of Benin Teaching Hospital. SUBJECTS: Adult hypertensive admissions (HTA) in Benin City, Edo state, Nigeria during the period January 2000 to December 2002. RESULTS: There were a total of 2,852 adult medical admissions during the study period out of which 575 were because of hypertension related morbidity. Only 302 (52.5%) of these were previously diagnosed as hypertensives). The most common hypertensive complication was cerebrovascular accident followed by congestive cardiac failure and chronic renal failure in order of decreasing frequency. The annual adult mortality rate from medical admissions was 5.6%. Mortality due to hypertensive complications constituted 10.5% of overall hospital adult mortality and 16.1% of deaths from medical causes. The annual mortality rate among HTA was 22.1% (252/1000) with a male:female ratio of 2:1. CONCLUSION: The contribution of systemic hypertension to adult morbidity and mortality is very significant. There is need for more concerted effort to create hypertension awareness, and to achieve good control and prevention of hypertensive complications.
Authors:
V A Ukoh
Related Documents :
8003167 - Faculty and administration views of problems in faculty evaluation.
23168927 - Measuring adherence in a community-based elderly population.
24271317 - The use of medications by elderly men with polypharmacy: representations and practices.
690107 - Conception and construction of a teaching simulator (umbilical vessel catheterization).
18197107 - Early opioid prescription and subsequent disability among workers with back injuries: t...
18791297 - Cultures of death and politics of corpse supply: anatomy in vienna, 1848-1914.
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  East African medical journal     Volume:  84     ISSN:  0012-835X     ISO Abbreviation:  East Afr Med J     Publication Date:  2007 Jul 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2007-09-24     Completed Date:  2007-11-08     Revised Date:  2007-11-15    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0372766     Medline TA:  East Afr Med J     Country:  Kenya    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  329-35     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Medicine, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Aged
Cause of Death
Female
Heart Failure / etiology,  mortality*
Hospitals, Teaching / utilization*
Humans
Hypertension / complications*,  prevention & control
Kidney Failure, Chronic / etiology,  mortality*
Male
Middle Aged
Nigeria
Patient Admission / statistics & numerical data
Prevalence
Retrospective Studies
Risk Factors
Stroke / etiology,  mortality*

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Patients knowledge of hypertension and its control in Eastern Sudan.
Next Document:  Prevalence and risk factors for gall bladder polyps.