Document Detail


Acute liver failure and the brain: a look through the crystal ball.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23212480     Owner:  NLM     Status:  Publisher    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Over the past 35 years, the outlook for a patient presenting with acute liver failure (ALF) has changed beyond all recognition. A patient presenting in 1984 had an 80 % likelihood of succumbing to intracranial hypertension. Today due to dramatic improvements in intensive care in dedicated liver transplant units, this has been reduced to just 20 %. Prompt fluid resuscitation, empirical treatment for sepsis and standardised management protocols that include early intubation and high flow hemofiltration for ammonia removal, limit the numbers of patients who die from the sequelae of cerebral edema and ALF. With the evolution and development of bedside prognostic markers that will include personalised genomic, metabonomic and immune profiling, rationalisation of grafts to those who are not predicted to survive is likely to further minimise the number of grafts utilised. Furthermore, in those patients with a dismal prognosis, the use of plasmapheresis, immunomodulatory therapies, biological liver support systems and hepatocyte transplantation offer a potential bridge until the injured liver can begin to regenerate avoiding transplantation and life-long immunosuppressant therapy.
Authors:
Jennifer M Ryan; Thomas Tranah; Ragai R Mitry; Julia A Wendon; Debbie L Shawcross
Publication Detail:
Type:  JOURNAL ARTICLE     Date:  2012-12-4
Journal Detail:
Title:  Metabolic brain disease     Volume:  -     ISSN:  1573-7365     ISO Abbreviation:  Metab Brain Dis     Publication Date:  2012 Dec 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2012-12-5     Completed Date:  -     Revised Date:  -    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  8610370     Medline TA:  Metab Brain Dis     Country:  -    
Other Details:
Languages:  ENG     Pagination:  -     Citation Subset:  -    
Affiliation:
Institute of Liver Studies, King's College London School of Medicine at King's College Hospital, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS, UK, jenniferryan@doctors.org.uk.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Liver-brain proinflammatory signalling in acute liver failure: Role in the pathogenesis of hepatic e...
Next Document:  Effects of adenosine A2a receptor agonist and antagonist on hippocampal nuclear factor-kB expression...