Document Detail


Acute alopecia totalis.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  16850096     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
From a group of 1,189 AA patients seen in our dermatology unit, thirteen (3 males, 10 females) experienced hair shedding that started profusely and diffusely over the entire scalp. They were under observation for about 5 years, histopathology and trichograms being performed in all instances. The mean age of the patients was 26.7 years. It took only 2.3 months on average from the onset of hair shedding to total denudation of the scalp. The trichogram at the time of diffuse shedding showed that about 80% had dystrophic roots and the remaining 20% had telogen roots. Histopathological findings and exclamation mark hairs were compatible with alopecia areata. Regrowth of hair was noted 3.2 month after the onset of hair shedding and recovery observed in 4.8 months. All patients were treated by methylprednisolone pulse therapy. During the follow-up period, 53 months on average after recovery, 8 of the 13 patients (61.5%) showed normal scalp hair without recurrence, in 4 patients the recovery was cosmetically acceptable in spite of focal recurrences and only 1 patient showed a severe relapse after recovery. Considering all of the above findings, this group of the patients should be delineated by the term acute alopecia totalis.
Authors:
Hye-Ja Choi; Chull-Wan Ihm
Related Documents :
3477986 - Local oestriol treatment improves the structure of elastic fibers in the skin of postme...
20587996 - Best practice options for hair removal in patients with unwanted facial hair using comb...
25472076 - 27 effect of a specific inhibitor of dot1l on preimplantation development of porcine so...
25397956 - Coconut (cocos nucifera l.) pollen cryopreservation.
19668506 - Functional outcomes after multiple treatments with ranibizumab in neovascular age-relat...
22567536 - Therapeutic efficacy of artemether-lumefantrine for the treatment of uncomplicated plas...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Acta dermatovenerologica Alpina, Pannonica, et Adriatica     Volume:  15     ISSN:  1318-4458     ISO Abbreviation:  Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Pannonica Adriat     Publication Date:  2006 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2006-07-19     Completed Date:  2006-08-28     Revised Date:  2014-05-30    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9422563     Medline TA:  Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Pannonica Adriat     Country:  Slovenia    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  27-34     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Adult
Alopecia Areata* / diagnosis,  pathology,  therapy
Female
Glucocorticoids / therapeutic use
Hair / pathology*
Humans
Male
Methylprednisolone / therapeutic use
Pulse Therapy, Drug
Scalp / pathology
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Glucocorticoids; X4W7ZR7023/Methylprednisolone

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Blood transfusion and dermatology.
Next Document:  Epidemiology of syphilis in pregnant women and congenital syphilis in Belarus.