Document Detail

Acute and chronic respiratory symptoms among primary care patients who smoke crack cocaine.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  23188552     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Among inner-city populations in Canada, the use of crack cocaine by inhalation is prevalent. Crack smoking is associated with acute respiratory symptoms and complications, but less is known about chronic respiratory problems related to crack smoking. There is also a gap in the literature addressing the management of respiratory disease in primary health care among people who smoke crack. The purpose of our study was to assess the prevalence of acute and chronic respiratory symptoms among patients who smoke crack and access primary care. We conducted a pilot study among 20 patients who currently smoke crack (used within the past 30 days) and who access the "drop-in clinic" at an inner-city primary health care center. Participants completed a 20- to 30-min interviewer-administered survey and provided consent for a chart review. We collected information on respiratory-related symptoms, diagnoses, tests, medications, and specialist visits. Data were analyzed using frequency tabulations in SPSS (version 19.0). In the survey, 95 % (19/20) of the participants reported having at least one respiratory symptom in the past week. Thirteen (13/19, 68.4 %) reported these symptoms as bothersome. Chart review indicated that 12/20 (60 %) had a diagnosis of either asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and four participants (4/20, 20 %) had a diagnosis of both asthma and COPD. Majority of the participants had been prescribed an inhaled medication (survey 16/20, 80 %; chart 12/20, 60 %). We found that 100 % (20/20) of the participants currently smoked tobacco, and 16/20 (80 %) had smoked both tobacco and marijuana prior to smoking crack. Our study suggests that respiratory symptoms and diagnoses of asthma and COPD are prevalent among a group of patients attending an inner-city clinic in Toronto and who also smoke crack. The high prevalence of smoking tobacco and marijuana among our participants is a major confounder for attributing respiratory symptoms to crack smoking alone. This novel pilot study can inform future research evaluating the primary health care management of respiratory disease among crack smokers, with the aim of improving health and health care delivery.
Pamela Leece; Nikhil Rajaram; Susan Woolhouse; Margaret Millson
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Journal of urban health : bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine     Volume:  90     ISSN:  1468-2869     ISO Abbreviation:  J Urban Health     Publication Date:  2013 Jun 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2013-05-29     Completed Date:  2013-11-19     Revised Date:  2014-06-03    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9809909     Medline TA:  J Urban Health     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  542-51     Citation Subset:  IM    
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Administration, Inhalation
Asthma / diagnosis,  epidemiology*,  etiology
Confounding Factors (Epidemiology)
Crack Cocaine*
Health Surveys
Middle Aged
Ontario / epidemiology
Pilot Projects
Primary Health Care
Pulmonary Disease, Chronic Obstructive / diagnosis,  epidemiology*,  etiology
Smoking / adverse effects,  epidemiology
Substance-Related Disorders / complications*
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Crack Cocaine

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine

Previous Document:  Aging and the use of pedestrian facilities in winter-the need for improved design and better technol...
Next Document:  More than just an eyesore: local insights and solutions on vacant land and urban health.