Document Detail


Activity of paclitaxel as second-line chemotherapy in endometrial carcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  12648575     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
OBJECTIVE: To estimate the antitumor activity of paclitaxel (Taxol) in patients with persistent or recurrent endometrial carcinoma who have failed prior chemotherapy. To determine the nature and degree of toxicity of paclitaxel in this group of patients. METHODS: Paclitaxel was administered as a 3-h infusion at an initial dose of 200 mg/m(2) every 21 days or 175 mg/m(2) for patients with prior pelvic radiation therapy. Dose modifications were based on nadir toxicity, both hematologic and nonhematologic, and were accomplished by dose level adjustments. The dose levels were 200, 175, 135, and 110 mg/m(2). Patients were evaluable for response after receiving one dose of paclitaxel and living 3 weeks. They were evaluable for toxicity after receiving any paclitaxel. RESULTS: Of the 44 patients evaluable for response, three patients (6.8%) achieved a complete response and nine patients (20.5%) had a partial response for an overall response rate of 27.3%. The 95% confidence interval for the true response rate was 15-42.8%. The median number of courses of paclitaxel to response was 2 (range: 1-4) and the median response duration was 4.2 months. The median overall survival was 10.3 months. Of 48 patients evaluable for toxicity, 28 experienced at least one episode of grade 3 or 4 neutropenia, with one treatment-related death. There were four patients who developed grade 3 neurotoxicity in this group of previously treated patients, most of whom had received cisplatin-containing chemotherapy. There was virtually no cardiac toxicity and only 3 of 48 patients experienced grade 3 or 4 gastrointestinal symptoms. CONCLUSIONS: Paclitaxel is an active agent in the treatment of endometrial cancer in patients who have had prior chemotherapy.
Authors:
Sarah Lincoln; John A Blessing; Roger B Lee; Thomas F Rocereto
Related Documents :
20047125 - Weekly paclitaxel for heavily treated advanced or recurrent gastric cancer refractory t...
12825825 - Peripheral neuropathy due to therapy with paclitaxel, gemcitabine, and cisplatin in pat...
8893895 - Doxorubicin and paclitaxel, a highly active combination in the treatment of metastatic ...
15177425 - First line therapy with paclitaxel (taxol) and pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (caelyx)...
11315345 - Cyclophosphamide for the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus.
18228525 - Oncologic outcomes of transoral laser surgery of supraglottic carcinoma compared with a...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Clinical Trial; Journal Article; Multicenter Study; Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.    
Journal Detail:
Title:  Gynecologic oncology     Volume:  88     ISSN:  0090-8258     ISO Abbreviation:  Gynecol. Oncol.     Publication Date:  2003 Mar 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2003-03-21     Completed Date:  2003-04-03     Revised Date:  2007-11-14    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  0365304     Medline TA:  Gynecol Oncol     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  277-81     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Section of Medical Oncology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA.
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Aged
Aged, 80 and over
Antineoplastic Agents, Phytogenic / adverse effects,  therapeutic use*
Drug Administration Schedule
Endometrial Neoplasms / drug therapy*
Female
Humans
Infusions, Intravenous
Middle Aged
Neoplasm Recurrence, Local / drug therapy*
Paclitaxel / adverse effects,  therapeutic use*
Grant Support
ID/Acronym/Agency:
CA 27469/CA/NCI NIH HHS; CA 37517/CA/NCI NIH HHS
Chemical
Reg. No./Substance:
0/Antineoplastic Agents, Phytogenic; 33069-62-4/Paclitaxel

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Physical side effects and quality of life during postoperative radiotherapy for uterine cancer. Pros...
Next Document:  Phase II trial of single agent carboplatin followed by dose-intense paclitaxel, followed by maintena...