Document Detail


Activity of pursuit-related neurons in medial superior temporal area (MST) during static roll-tilt.
MedLine Citation:
PMID:  20421248     Owner:  NLM     Status:  MEDLINE    
Abstract/OtherAbstract:
Recent studies have shown that rhesus macaques can perceive visual motion direction in earth-centered coordinates as accurately as humans. We tested whether coordinate frames representing smooth pursuit and/or visual motion signals in medial superior temporal area (MST) are earth centered to better understand its role in coordinating smooth pursuit. In 2 Japanese macaques, we compared preferred directions (re monkeys' head-trunk axis) of pursuit and/or visual motion responses of MSTd neurons while upright and during static whole-body roll-tilt. In the majority (41/51 = 80%) of neurons tested, preferred directions of pursuit and/or visual motion responses were not significantly different while upright and during 40° static roll-tilt. Preferred directions of the remaining 20% of neurons (n = 10) were shifted beyond the range expected from ocular counter-rolling; the maximum shift was 14°, and the mean shift was 12°. These shifts, however, were still less than half of the expected shift if MST signals are coded in the earth-centered coordinates. Virtually, all tested neurons (44/46 = 96%) failed to exhibit a significant difference between resting discharge rate while upright and during static roll-tilt while fixating a stationary spot. These results suggest that smooth pursuit and/or visual motion signals of MST neurons are not coded in the earth-centered coordinates; our results favor the head- and/or trunk-centered coordinates.
Authors:
Keishi Fujiwara; Teppei Akao; Sergei Kurkin; Kikuro Fukushima
Related Documents :
20034998 - Sensitivity of human visual and vestibular cortical regions to egomotion-compatible vis...
24137018 - Mechanisms of glutamate transport.
6466488 - Single unit activity and visual perception of motion.
10750828 - Differential contributions of magnocellular and parvocellular pathways to the contrast ...
18643148 - Synchronized patterns induced by distributed time delays.
1618268 - Elevated basal firing rates and enhanced responses to 8-br-camp in locus coeruleus neur...
Publication Detail:
Type:  Journal Article; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't     Date:  2010-04-26
Journal Detail:
Title:  Cerebral cortex (New York, N.Y. : 1991)     Volume:  21     ISSN:  1460-2199     ISO Abbreviation:  Cereb. Cortex     Publication Date:  2011 Jan 
Date Detail:
Created Date:  2010-12-14     Completed Date:  2011-11-14     Revised Date:  2013-05-29    
Medline Journal Info:
Nlm Unique ID:  9110718     Medline TA:  Cereb Cortex     Country:  United States    
Other Details:
Languages:  eng     Pagination:  155-65     Citation Subset:  IM    
Affiliation:
Department of Physiology, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo 060-8638, Japan. kikuro@med.hokudai.ac.jp
Export Citation:
APA/MLA Format     Download EndNote     Download BibTex
MeSH Terms
Descriptor/Qualifier:
Action Potentials / physiology*
Animals
Macaca
Motion Perception / physiology*
Neurons / physiology*
Neuropsychological Tests / standards
Photic Stimulation / methods
Pursuit, Smooth / physiology
Temporal Lobe / physiology*
Tilt-Table Test / methods
Comments/Corrections

From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine


Previous Document:  Effects of a precomposting step on the vermicomposting of dairy manure-waste paper mixtures.
Next Document:  The functional architecture of the infant brain as revealed by resting-state FMRI.