The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom.
|Article Type:||Book review|
|Subject:||Books (Book reviews)|
|Publication:||Name: Annals of the American Psychotherapy Association Publisher: American Psychotherapy Association Audience: Academic; Professional Format: Magazine/Journal Subject: Psychology and mental health Copyright: COPYRIGHT 2008 American Psychotherapy Association ISSN: 1535-4075|
|Issue:||Date: Fall, 2008 Source Volume: 11 Source Issue: 3|
|Topic:||NamedWork: The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (Nonfiction work)|
|Persons:||Reviewee: Ruiz, Don Miguel|
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
By Don Miguel Ruiz
According to Don Miguel Ruiz, everything we do in life is based on the agreements we have made--agreements with ourselves, with other people, with God, with life. But the most important agreements are the ones we make with ourselves. In these agreements, we tell ourselves who we are, how to behave, what is possible, what is impossible. One single negative agreement is not such a problem, but we have many agreements that come from fear, deplete our energy, and rob us of joy.
When we are ready to change these agreements, there are four deceptively simple, yet powerful agreements that can break the agreements that cause needless suffering, and help us to reclaim our personal power. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, The Four Agreements offers a powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness, and love.
Mastering the Dream of Your Life
Upon finishing The Four Agreements, readers can turn to the official companion book for further help along the journey to happiness and authenticity. Within the companion book you will find how to break the domestication that keeps you enslaved by fear; keys to recover your will, faith, and the power of your word; practice ideas to help you become the master of your own life; a dialogue with don Miguel about living the Four Agreements; and success stories from people who have used the Four Agreements.
Individuals taking the dream further and living the teachings of the Four Agreements to the fullest are certain to experience the profound effects Ruiz's works have had on millions of readers worldwide. It has also gained quite a celebrity following, capturing the interest of well-known individuals such as Oprah Winfrey, President Clinton, Madonna, Ellen DeGeneres, Sharon Stone, and Lance Armstrong, to name a few. Written simply yet eloquently, The Four Agreements is an accessible must read for anyone looking to expand their horizons.
Facts About The Four Agreements
* More than 4 million copies sold in the United States
* Translated into 34 languages
* More than 7 years on The New York Times bestseller list
* Chosen as one of "Oprah's favorite things" November, 2000
* Featured in "O" The Oprah Magazine premiere issue May/June 2000
* Featured in "O" The Oprah Magazine October 2001 issue
* Cover stories in AARP Segunda Juventud, Criticas, Science of Mind, and San Diego Reader
* Mentioned in "O" Magazine, SHAPE, Glamour, Family Circle, Star, and National Examiner
* Listed at #30 on USA Today's Top 100 books from the past 10 years
* Listed in top 20 bestselling titles at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Walden, and Target Stores
* Other bestseller lists: USA Today, San Francisco Chronicle, Denver Post, Washington Post, Boston Globe, and Publishers Weekly
Sales of The Toltec Wisdom Series by Don Miguel Ruiz
* More than 6,000,000 copies sold of all Ruiz titles
* More than 820,000 copies sold of The Mastery of Love
* More than 500,000 copies sold of The Four Agreements Companion Book
* More than 300,000 copies sold of The Voice of Knowledge
* More than 165,000 copies sold of Prayers: A Communion with our Creator
About Don Miguel Ruiz
Born into a family of healers, Don Miguel Ruiz was raised in rural Mexico by a curandera (healer) mother and a nagual (shaman) grandfather. The family anticipated that Miguel would embrace their centuries-old legacy of healing and teaching. Instead, distracted by modern life, Miguel chose to attend medical school and become a surgeon.
A near-death experience changed his life. Late one night in the early 1970s, he awoke suddenly, having fallen asleep at the wheel of his car. At that moment, the car crashed into a wall of concrete. He remembers that he was not in his physical body as he watched himself pull his two friends to safety. Stunned by this experience, he began an intensive practice of self-inquiry. He devoted himself to the mastery of the ancient ancestral wisdom, studying earnestly with his mother, and completing an apprenticeship with a powerful shaman in the Mexican desert. For more than two decades, Don Miguel Ruiz has worked to impart this wisdom to students through lectures, workshops, and journeys to sacred sites around the world.
|Gale Copyright:||Copyright 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.|